Worksite Health

Drug Testing in the Workplace

01/31/2008

Question:

My employer requires random drug testing and I was recently informed by the employee health nurse that I had been selected. I happen to take Ritalin and I indicated this on the form that accompanied the test. I was asked why I was taking the drug and told the Medical Review Officer that that information was confidential; between me and my doctor. I was told that I must divulge this information; my doctor saw absolutely not...it`s confidential. What is your opinion on this? I happen to be a hospital pharmacist; maybe I should ask the emloyee health nurse if all of her boyfriends know that she has prescriprions filled for her genital herpes? Of course, that would be wrong, but I`m mad as hell that they think that they can just access my medical records just for curiosity sake.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. Unfortunately we do not have an expert who answers questions in your area of inquiry. You may want to direct your question to a legal expert who deals with medical privacy issues.

Go to the Worksite Health health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org