Digestive Disorders

Stomach virus

01/23/2008

Question:

My 11 year old son has been sick with a foul smelling stomache problem that has landed him in the doctors office and then the er. He was put on amoxillian for 10 days and the problem got worse. He had blood work and stool samples taken and they are good. After he eats, within 30 minutes, he get a gripping pain in the lower ab.area and then passes gas and has diarrhea and vomiting at the same time. He has lost 6 lbs in a month and every doctor seems to think it`s a stomach bug and should run it`s course. I don`t like the idea of him throwing up everything he eats and with the diarrhea he bound to get dehydrated...please help...I don`t know what else to do if the professionals say it`s a bug and not to worry.

Answer:

I might recommend to you seeing a pediatric gastroenterologist and consider changing physicians for second opinion if you are doing that already.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Annette  Kyprianou, MD Annette Kyprianou, MD
Senior Clinical Instructor of Medicine