Root canal

12/28/2007

Question:

I need a root canal on tooth #18 which has a pre-existing crown and is part of a bridge to tooth#17. I have been told the root canal and a new crown will be approx. $2500. I am concernced about the price as well as knowing if it is possible to drill through the existing crown and perform the root canal or does the crown have to be removed? What happens to the bridge when the crown is removed and replaced?

Answer:

Questions regarding costs or specifics of your treatment should be addressed to your dentist and/or endodontist.

Sometimes a root canal can be done through the crown, but there are a number of reasons why a root canal can not be done through an existing crown (i.e. insufficient tooth structure, difficulty of the root canal (or retreatment), recurrent decay under the crown, leaking crown, etc.). Your dentist/endodontist can evaluate whether that is an option.

I also can not speak specifically about your bridge, but a bridge in general serves the purpose of replacing a missing tooth. If a bridge needs to be removed, sometimes all of the bridge is removed. Other times, the bridge can be cut so that there are individual crowns left if part of the bridge is still functioning properly. Once again, this is best answered specifically to your case in an office where drawings and models can be used. If you are concerned about the price you can always get other consults and prices, but the quote you were given is within the range of many private practice fees.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics