Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Finding Testing for Bipolar Dsirder

01/02/2008

Question:

I have been reading your website and need to know how to see if my daughter can be "tested" for bipolar disorder. She has displayed most of the symptoms on your website since she was 2yrs old---she`s 13 years old now. Please advise. I live in the state of California have just considered this as a possibility, but it would help explain why I have not been able to help her up to now. Thank you

Answer:

Thank you for your excellent question. I understand your concern for your daughter and can tell you that she can get "tested" or assessed for bipolar disorder. I would suggest calling your local university, community mental health center or National Association of Mentally Ill chapter to ask for names, locations and phone numbers of mental health professionals who have expertise assessing and treating adolescents with mood disorders. Because symptoms can mimic several other disorders and many disorders occur together (comorbidity), it is essential that a comprehensive and detailed psychological assessment of ALL the psychiatric diagnoses be conducted to identify which diagnoses and symptoms are present and which can be ruled-out.

I hope this answer is helpful.

Best wishes.

National Alliance on Mental Illness
NAMICalifornia

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry