Root canal inflammation

01/02/2008

Question:

I had a root canal done October 17th, as a preventative procedure suggested by my dentist, as a cavity would eventually reach the nerve. The endodontist was made aware that I take Fosamax and of my concern of osteonecrosis. After the procedure, he gave me Cipro for 6 days and since then, my tooth is in constant pain and it never hurt before. He keeps saying "inflammation" from the procedure, but I`m not sure that I accept that explanation after 2.5 months now. He wants me to go to an oral surgeon, to shave off the tip, possibly.

That is exactly what I was trying to prevent by having the root canal done before the tooth became infected. I have now developed an increase in blood pressure, totally unexplained, and I am wondering if there is an infection there...since Cipro did not seem the drug of choice, according to my physician or my pharmacist. My tooth is so sensitive now that it keeps me in pain and I feel that something went wrong with his procedure. He keeps insisting there is nothing else he can do. He did give me a 10 day treatment of Clindamycin, but it did not help. Could an infection result in high blood pressure? I`m just at a loss on all of this. Has high blood pressure ever been the result of a failed root canal or underlying inflammation? This really has me concerned because of the Fosamax, also.

Thank you so much for your comments.

Answer:

Some severe infections can affect blood pressure. However, if you have an active infection related to your tooth, you would have signs and symptoms such as visible facial swelling and/or a fever. I doubt that your high blood pressure is related to the root canal.

Fosamax can be a concern when you are having surgical procedures done, but this also depends on the dose, length of time, and reason for taking the medications. It is not a concern for the procedure you had done, non-surgical root canal treatment.

If you have questions and concerns regarding your treatment or what to do next, I would recommend an evaluation by another endodontist.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics