Osteoporosis

What are the Proper Conditions for Using Forteo?

01/04/2008

Question:

Well, I`m trying to decide if Forteo is right for me. After taking fosimax for 7 years it`s been up and down in helping me. I now have osteoporosis in my spine. I`m 56 in relative good health, I ski, ride horses, exercise, this is a life altering diagnosis unless I can build back my back. So I have a congenital heart murmur, elevated liver enzymes, reason still to be determined. Am I a good candidate for Forteo?

Answer:

Most practitioners reserve Forteo for severe cases of osteoporosis.  It is unclear how severe your osteoporosis is.  First, be sure that you have had a thorough evaluation for other possible causes of your osteoporosis.  Some causes such as hyperthyroidism, insufficient vitamin D, hypercalciuria, hyperparathyroidism, and others can be corrected and that would likely lead to improvement in your bone density.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology