Cancer Genetics

Family History of Colon Cancer

01/07/2008

Question:

I`m, a fairly healthy healthy 51 year old guy who does not get any regular medical checkups. I recently got a personal care physician, who did my first real annual physical in over 10 years and the question of "anyone in your family with cancer?" to which I answered no...my dad and sister both had colon cancer, which was treated and cured...I assumed that this question meant did anyone die from cancer, now I`m guessing that she meant did anyone "have" it. I think that I was subconsciously trying to delay the flex-sig exam that she had suggested sometime have her perform sometime in the future,and she said since I didn't have symptoms; it could wait, do I need to correct my family cancer history or does it only count if the family member dies from colon cancer? thanks

Answer:

The current recommendations are for someone like yourself with 2 first degree relatives with colon cancer to have a colonoscopy at age 40, so regardless of whether they died from cancer or not. So at age 51, you should get screened sooner than later.

Go to the Cancer Genetics health topic, where you can:

Gregory S Cooper, MD Gregory S Cooper, MD
Professor of Medicine