Dental and Oral Health Center

Extremely sensitive tongue

01/03/2008

Question:

My tongue is rubbing a sore in the roof of my mouth right behind my two front teeth because of roughness of the tongue. Is there any way to make my tongue smoother? I have to wear my old retainer that has plastic covering the roof of my mouth with metal bands holding the front teeth in place. I seem to thrust my tongue forward all of the time and I am unaware of doing it. My mouth is so dry, that I am causing my own sores. This particular sore behind the two front teeth just does not want to heal. I am drinking a lot of water. I am not dehydrated. Any suggestions?

Answer:

It is my recommendation that anytime you have a long-standing irritation on or from the tongue, it needs to be examined by a professional and not with random suggestions. Tongue lesions, when they occur, can have a high potential for more serious consequences, which can occur in a relative short period of time.

Find an oral pathologist or a periodontist with whom your family dentist works. What you have described seems serious enough to warrant immediate attention.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry