Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Missing adult teeth

01/07/2008

Question:

My daughter is 8 years old, and since her baby teeth have come in we knew we would have some problems, but didn`t know until today how bad. The first sign was her four bottom teeth came in as two teeth. Two teeth were fused together with a v like cut out in the middle. Our dentist said she would probably be missing a few adult teeth. We found out yesterday she is missing 22! She has no other problems that we are aware of. What are our options, and what other medical problems usually go along with this kind of problem? Thanks for your help.

Answer:

Thank you for the question.

The best thing for you to do right now is make sure that a thorough team approach is used for your daughter's care. With certain conditions with multiple missing teeth, like Ectodermal dysplasia, consulting with a physician is also required. But I think by starting with your pediatric dentist and pediatrician, you can get her on the right path. There are restorative options, like implants, but really only after consultation with an oral surgeon and an orthodontist should this be pursued.

Good luck.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry