Cancer

Mammography

01/30/2008

Question:

I am a cancer survivor about 1-1/2 years in remission from Hodgkins stage 4. I am currently getting a CT scan of the chest, abdomen, and pelvis every 6 months. I am also getting a PET scan from the top of my head to mid thigh every six months. My question is, do I really need to get a mammogram if I am getting these other, more extensive imaging tests? I would assume that the PET or CAT would certainly pick up something in my breast. Thank you for answering my question.

Answer:

No, mammograms are still a very important part of your screening (as long as your Hodgkins disease (HD) is well-controlled or in remission). Although the CT scan and PET are very important to look for HD recurrence, they cannot pick up an early breast cancer. Breast cancer is more common in HD survivors-- please continue with your mammograms!

Go to the Cancer health topic, where you can:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD