Myasthenia Gravis

Muscles out of control

01/22/2008

Question:

Hi, I am a 60 year old female, 5`6", 130 pounds who is experiencing terrible muscle spasms, horrible aches and pain, fatigue and nausea constantly. This has been going on longer than it should. My suspicion are silicone implants and have had them since 1980. An MRI showed severe degenerative arthritis and disc degeneration of the spine about two years ago. I cannot take most medications because they do not filter through my liver properly and the side effects are frightening. I had Hep-B at age 27 and have been very careful what I ingest ever since. The truth is I am terrified and was wondering if you could help me figure out what is going on with my battered body. I know age is a factor but gee, this is really terrible. I feel like a hypochondriac and I`m sure my husband is tired of me always having something not right. I want my life back without constant daily pain. Can you point me in the right direction?

Answer:

I wish I could be of more help, but I am afraid that my area of focus is with myasthenia gravis. Your struggles seem to be not in my area. I would suggest that you continue to work with a good primary care doctor to sort things out. He/she should be able to identify serious problems and if none are found you can be reassured and do your best to get the most out of life. Best of luck to you.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology