Menopause

Side effects of decreasing Estratest dose?

02/07/2008

Question:

I had a complete Hysterectomy at age 36, put on Estratest. I am 49 now and decreased my dose to qod for past 3 years. My new GYN wants to titrate me OFF HRT. She changed me to Estratest HS-1 qod 1 month ago. The past 2 weeks, I have had night sweats throughout the night and am unable to sleep restfully. She does not want to go to the HS dose every day before changing to qod-but DID mention possibly needing to do this at the time of my visit. Isn`t that a drastic dose change? Are their other options? I would like your doctors opinion.

Answer:

You were essentially getting Estratest hs qd during the 3 years you were taking Estratest q.o.d.  If you need to taper more slowly, you might try omitting one pill twice a week for awhile.  For many women stopping hormones is like having menopause all over again.  Try to keep yourself cool at night.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology