Myasthenia Gravis

Neonatal myasthenia gravis

01/23/2008

Question:

I was diagnosed with MG in 1998, had a thymectomy in 1998. I had a baby in 1999 and she was born with neonantal MG. It lasted for about 4 weeks, she couldnt suck. I am now 36 weeks pregnant and want to know what the chance is for this baby to be born with neonatal MG.

Answer:

Neonatal Myasthenia Gravis affects 10% -20% of newborns of myasthenic mothers and occurs after birth (usually 12-48 hours). Symptoms may be generalized weakness and hypotonia (low tone), difficulty feeding, feeble cry, ptosis (droopy eyelids), facial paresis, and respiratory distress. It is usually transient, but may require medication and aggressive intensive neonatal monitoring. It is important to let the obstetrician and the neonatologist know, and make sure they monitor your little one for the first 2 days closely. Your risk of passing it on transiently is higher when your own disease is poorly controlled or very active.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

Robert W Neel, IV, MD Robert W Neel, IV, MD