Depression

Paxil Dosage Options

01/15/2008

Question:

Hi, I hate to bother you but no one seems to want to answer my question so here it goes I was on 40 mg of Paxil for 7 years. Recently I had bad panic attack and depression got bad again. I went on my own to hospital was evaluated for 2 days they raised my Paxil in one day to 60 mg then I came home I was sick as a dog that was 3 weeks ago. I called last week they then lowered it to 40 I was still sick then about 5 days ago I went to the doctors and they raised it to 50 mg. I'm feeling very sleepy and not a bit better but they wont listen do you think I'm taking too much and should I drop it back to 40 mg and see how that goes I'm also on Valium 5mg take 2 or so a day as needed for panic any help is appreciated.

Answer:

I think you have established that you do not get a full response to Paxil at 40-60 mg/day, so it may be time to switch to a medication that works better for your depression and your panic attacks. Ask your doctor to refer you to a psychiatrist for a consultation about this medication question. This is a treatable problem.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program