Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Bipolar Disorder



My sister is 31 years old. She stays with her two children of 6 and 8 years old and her husband.She has been married for 9 years. Since 2006, it has been noted that she creates extramarital affairs, sometimes with a security guard, or sometimes with her childhood friend, who is also married. During this time she thinks of all of her family members as her enemies and does not cooperate or even talk with them. After some days, when she gets rejected by that person, she becomes cold. Doctors have diagonised it as bipolar affective disorder. But she is too adament to take the medicines. Now, she is having a relationship with her childhood friend. She has telephone conversations only. She believes no one but that guy. She even threatens to kill children, if they won`t lie to their father or other family members.


Sorry to learn about your sister. She sounds very sick. I do not believe that you have asked a question, but your description is very concerning.

From your description, your sister needs an immediate assessment. You may need to consider involuntary hospitalization if she is a threat to herself or others, including children and family members. If she lives in the Columbus area, take her immediately to the OSU ER and ask to see the psychiatrist on call, or call NetCare (the number is in the phone book).

From what you are saying, your sister needs an urgent assessment and possible hospitalization. If you are not in the Columbus area, call the Community Mental Health Center where you are or take her directly to the closest emergency room.

Good luck. I hope that this helps.

For more information:

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Stephen F Pariser, MD Stephen F Pariser, MD
Faculty Emeritus
Professor of Psychiatry
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University