Menopause

Perimenopause or pregnancy?

02/06/2008

Question:

I had my last period Nov 28th, 2007 I was due at least close to the end of December. I just truned 49 and I have alwaysd had regular periods. I started having unprotected sex the second week in Dec and I had a light period two weeks after my period went off it only lasted 2 days but was not heavy. I did not have unprotected sex around that time I had it after Dec 12th. I am still waiting for my cycle to start. I`ve experienced PMS for at least a week but still no period so I`m wondering if this is Perimenopause starting now or am I pregnant? I`m at least 2 weeks late..

Answer:

It would be a good idea to get a pregnancy test.  Women in their 40s have the second highest rate (after teenagers) of unplanned pregnancies.  Contraception is recommended until one year after your last bleeding.  If the test is negative, repeat it in two weeks if you still have not had a period.  Irregular cycles are one of the first signs of approaching menopause.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology