Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Risks associated with thrombophilia

01/15/2008

Question:

I was diagnosed with thrombophilia after several misscarriages. The same doctor who helped me carry two more pregnancies to term continues to keep me on Folgard, low dose aspirin, and an iron suppliment. My regular physician has me on 10 mg of lisinipril daily for high blood pressure. I`m working out and eating healthy (about 90%) of the time. What else can I do to lower my risk of any problems associated with this disease? I`m forty two and I want to live a long and healthy life. I don`t know if I`m overreacting to this, or if having this clotting disorder is not as big a deal as I might be making of it.

Answer:

There are several conditions associated with increased blood clots, either inherited or acquired. Although they may increase the risk of blood clots, the risk is still small unless one has another provoking situation such as:

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Eric H Kraut, MD Eric H Kraut, MD
Professor of Hematology