Exercise and Fitness

Stomach Pouch

01/23/2008

Question:

Hello, I wanted to know what I need to do to loose my belly flab, or a pouch as others call it. The thing is I really do not want to loose any weight, because I am skinny as it is. I weigh about 110 lbs and I am about 5`1. The only part on my body that is actually fat is my stomach area, and I wanted to know what kind of exercises and how many times I should be doing it so I can get rid of my "flab". I want to run every day, but I am afraid I will loose weight if I do that.

Answer:

When toning the body, balancing your exercise program is an important component to remember for optimal results.  Always strive to balance your workout with a combination of strength training and cardiovascular exercises.  By adding strength training exercises to a running program, you will be adding muscle which will help tone your body in addition to burning calories from running.

The American College of Sports Medicine recommends a strength training program 2-3 days a week or every other day.  I would suggest that you perform equal ab exercises.  For example, perform one exercise for your rectus abdominus, which is your front abs (crunches).  Perform one exercise for your transverse abs, which is the deep muscle tissue surrounding your abs (planks).  Lastly, perform one exercise for your internal and external obliques, which are the sides of your abs (bicycle kicks & pendulums).  These are just a few of the most popular abdominal exercises, however, there are several others.

A good tool to use for ab exercises is a stability ball.  A stability ball can really help with targeting your core muscles.  Remember to start at your own pace and slowly build up to your tolerance.  Hard work and determination always pays off in the end.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Henry  Marshall, BS Henry Marshall, BS
Fitness Instructor
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley