Post root canal numbness

01/15/2008

Question:

Two weeks ago I recieved root canal treatment on tooth #18 and am still numb on my left side of tongue and bottom inside gum. I believe the dentist his my lingual nerve head on causing an electric shock feeling. He states that this is probably the problem and should get better over time. The feeling feels really heavy on bottom gum. The tooth worked on also feels like their is alot of pressure also. The tooth has a temporary crown so the dentist drilled through and put temporary filling in until my next dentist visit to finish crown. If this is not the sole problem what else can cause numbness? Could it be an overfill of the filling? Could the temporary filling have been put in too tight causing the numbness? Could an abcess or fluid cause this?

I`m really scared and would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The link below will connect you to that information.

NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Numbness on the right side of the tongue

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics