Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Factor V Leiden-long term coumadin usage

01/15/2008

Question:

When my 25 yr-old daughter was 18, she had a left subclavian DVT and testing at that time revealed she is heterozygous for factor v leiden. She was treated with Heparin in the hospital; has been on Coumadin ever since with no more DVT`s. Does she need to continue on coumadin? Also, if she became pregnant would she need to take heparin injections during the pregnancy?

Answer:

It is difficult to answer specific questions about your daughter's case without being able to see her, examine her, and go over all her records.

I would say though that the decision to stop or continue the warfarin may depend on why she had the clot in the first place. It is very strange to have a clot in the subclavian vein, especially without either a central line being placed on the same side, or several other anatomical problems (cervical ribs, thoracic outlet syndrome, or other anatomical abnormality causing a stenosis or narrowing of the vessel) that can predispose to getting a clot in that large vein.

I would tell you to discuss these questions with the doctor taking care of you daughter to get a better handle on how long she needs to be treated for.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine