Gum Diseases

Problems with tooth and gum after root canal

01/16/2008

Question:

I had a root canal that did not alleviate the tooth pain in one of my front tooth. I then saw a endodontist that say I now need to have gum surgery to see why I am still having pain in the tooth along with gum swelling. Why did the root canal fail and what what is the success rate of the surgery

Answer:

There are couple of reasons that they want to do the surgery to explore the area:

1. Endodontic problem was too severe. Sometimes removing diseased pulp and filling root canals are not enough. The dentist has to open the most apical portion of the root and remove infected tissue since it is not healing by itself.

2. You may have an extra canal, etc. that they could not reach through conventional techniques. Thus, they may want to check the root surfaces.

3. During endodontic treatment, they may have a little perforation on the root surface. They may want to seal this perforation.

4. They may be questioning root fracture. Sometimes they are not very easy to detect. You need to do surgery to see the root surfaces and check for any fracture line.

#1 is the most likely reason as far as I can understand from your information.  I cannot tell you the prognosis of the tooth after treatment since I do not know the severity of the problem.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology