White dots almost zit like on tongue & penis

01/22/2008

Question:

I`ve had white dots on my genitals and under my tongue for a while (before I was sexualy active). There`s no discoloration and sometimes they can be poped like a zit. I have severe anxiety so I can`t go to the doctors, but the dots don`t go away or recess and are where the hair is on the testicles and the penis -- nowhere else, just where the hair is. It dosen`t burn at all or itch when peeing or regular. If you could help it would be very appreciated.

Answer:

It is hard to predict what you are describing but there are several things that come to mind. These include harmless cysts that can sometimes be localized around hair follicles, or enlarged oil glands that are associated with hair follicles, or a normal variant of glands in these areas. Much less likely a viral infection call molluscum contagiosum (which do not occur on the tongue). All of these are generally harmless. I doubt you have an infection. There are other things but these are less common.

The best idea is to have a board certified dermatologist take a look at it. If your anxiety prevents you from seeking care, keep an eye on the problem and if things change, force yourself to seek help.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD