Allergies

Sinus pressure

01/22/2008

Question:

Hello my name is Mario.  I am writing to you because I have had a bad case of sinus pressure for many years that affects my daily living.  I have tried many different sinus medicines, but none seem to work..I would like to know what are some things I can do.

Answer:

The cause of sinus pressure that has been going on for many years is most likely complex. I would recommend visiting with an Allergist and/or an Otolaryngologist. An Allergist can test you for allergies as this is a very common cause of ongoing nasal and sinus symptoms. He/she will be able to determine the cause of congestion if allergies are not present. An Otolaryngologist or ENT (ear, nose, and throat) doctor will be able to determine if there is any blockage or obstruction. Additionally, they can determine a cause for your syptoms. If your symptoms are so bad as to affect your daily living, you should talk to your doctor or get a referral to one of these specialists for an evaluation. There are some treatments you can try over-the-counter such as saline wash or irrigation with a bottle or neti pot.

Allergies
What is an Otolaryngologist?

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

David  Hauswirth, MD David Hauswirth, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Crtitical Care & Sleep
Pediatrics