Autism

How Can I Control My Tics?

01/18/2008

Question:

Hi, I'm 11 and I would like to know how to control my tics.  I tic in happy times such as Christmas, birthdays, and New Year's Eve. I'm doing well in my second year of being diognosed with touretts and ADHD. I also have OCD. How do I control the twiches and movements I make?

Answer:

It is to your credit that you want to learn how to control your tics. You should have an evaluation by a child psychiatrist or child neurologist who is familiar with the problem of tics if you have not already.

There are two main ways to control tics. One is by medicine, which might also help your OCD and ADHD some. Another, newer way, is by behavioral treatment following a system that is kind of like lessons in how to handle the tics. One such program was developed by Dr. Larry Scahill and colleagues at Yale. You and your parents with your doctor will have to decide which treatment seems best for you.

Good luck.

Go to the Autism health topic, where you can:

L Eugene Arnold, MD, MEd L Eugene Arnold, MD, MEd
Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry