Pulmonary Hypertension

Pulmonary hypertension

01/25/2008

Question:

It showed PH on an echo and I am waiting for further testing. I am looking for some information about it. Is it always treated? Can I use the wait and see approch? If I have it will it always progress and get worse? Will they normaly treat you if I have no symptoms? The only time I had chest pain and short of breath is when my anemia was bad and I went for my walks. Since my anemia is now controled with iron pills I don`t have none of that. No symptoms mean that I don`t realy have it or could it mean that they cought it early?

Answer:

Thank you for your question.

Your situation is a common one. We often see people who have had an echocardiogram done for another reason, and there is concern for pulmonary hypertension on the echocardiogram. To determine if you actually have pulmonary hypertension, you will need to have a heart catheterization. Based on the result of this test, your doctors will determine if you have it.

You will also need some additional testing of your lung function, as well as a few other tests to try to determine the cause of the pulmonary hypertension. Based on the cause and severity of your illness (if you do end up having PH on the cath) then your doctor will determine if you need to be treated and with what. Given that your symptoms are minimal, it could be that you have very mild or early disease or no PH at all.

I hope that this helps.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Douglas W Haden, MD Douglas W Haden, MD