Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Treatment for tongue bites/cuts

01/23/2008

Question:

My toddler (21months old) is sick from sore throat, due to his sore throat he accidentally bit his tongue (this happend 2 days ago). What remedy can i give my son to ease and quickly heal his tongue?

Answer:

Thanks for the question.

Fortunately, of all the parts of the human body, the tongue is one of the fastest healing. Clinical studies that have looked at the effectiveness of suturing tongue cuts rarely demonstrate any benefit. Typically, children will 'work out' any sutures, and the mere act of placing sutures can cause more tissue damage.

If the cut has stopped bleeding, is not a puncture (into the floor of the mouth), or 'split,' they are often left alone. Typically popsicles are great at calming a child, giving some liquid (to prevent dehydration). Just wet it first to prevent sticking to the tongue. Avoiding spicy or hot foods is also a good idea.

Hope this helps.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry