Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

How Do I Know if I`m Bipolar?

01/22/2008

Question:

Recently, I`ve been looking on websites and researching about bipolar disorders. When I showed my friends the printed research, they said I fit it perfectly. At times, I think they`re right and at times, I think they`re wrong. Personally, I don`t think I have the disorder, but how do I know that for sure? Is it weird to be aware of it if I do so happen to have it? How do I know?

Answer:

The only way to find out if someone has bipolar or any psychiatric disorder is to get a comprehensive and detailed psychological assessment from a trained mental health professional. I would suggest calling your local university, community mental health center, or National Association of Mentally Ill chapter to ask for names, locations, and phone numbers of mental health professionals who have expertise assessing and treating psychiatric problems.

I hope this answer is helpful.

Best wishes,

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas   Lofthouse, PhD Nicholas Lofthouse, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry