Gum Diseases

Gums

01/23/2008

Question:

I recently had a PERIOCHIP inserted under my gumline approx. 10 days agoas I have a 5mm pocket.

After having this done my gumline seems to have been pushed up, will it return to it`s normal position?

Regards

Answer:

I am not clear with your statement "pushed up". If you mean that you are seeing more of your root structure, this is generally what is expected. PerioChip is indicated when patients present a couple of spots with 5 mm or deeper pockets following periodontal therapy. If these pockets are mainly soft tissue related and if the patient does not want to go through surgical therapy, we recommend applying PerioChip in conjunction with mechanical therapy for localized area. Chlorhexidine within the PerioChip will be released and penetrated on root surface. It will stay within the pocket approximately 10 days and will work as an antiseptic.

With the inflammation going down, we see some type of shrinkage at the soft tissue level. This basically allows shallower pockets.  If you mean you are seeing swelling, this is generally not expected but may develop as a complication. You should see your dentist to have a follow-up.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology