Addiction and Substance Abuse

18 year old potential addict?

01/23/2008

Question:

how do i know if my sister (18) is using? we found s stash of pot in her roon. Empty bottles of beer, and she has had extreme mood changes. She physically attacked my( and her own) younger brother. this has been an ongoing situation for 2-3 months. getting worse. our mother is at the end of her rope, what do we do? when do we make our move and what are our limitations considering she is 18. thank you very much.

Answer:

Hello,

Since your sister is 18, your mother must set rules in the home to live by. If your sister doesn't live by them, she needs to move out. It sounds like you have evidence enough that she is using drugs and alcohol. Your mother can offer to help her get help or help her move out. Your mother needs to make your home safe for all of you. That is not as easy as it sounds.

I would suggest she turn to her own doctor or a counselor skilled in substance abuse. In the end, it is your mother's house. Your sister is of legal age to be responsible for herself. She has choices.

Good luck.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Edna M Jones, MD, MRO Edna M Jones, MD, MRO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Family Medicine