Dental Hygiene

Breaking tooth

01/23/2008

Question:

my sister`s lower 4 front teeth are sore and on the back side of them they are getting black and one of them is breaking.

Answer:

I can only guess from your description what may be happening, but you chose a couple of words to describe your sister that concern me.  If teeth are "sore, black and/or breaking" your sister should definitely seek dental care as soon as possible.  They may be decayed and/or abscessed, or there may be other infections in the mouth.

If you live in the Columbus area, I would suggest the College of Dentistry at The Ohio State University. They see patients of all ages. If your sister is a child, then Nationwide Children's Hospital is also an option, and both Ohio State and Children's Hospital see emergencies.

If you don't live in central Ohio, I would contact your local health department for recommendations or log onto the American Dental Association (ADA) @ www.ada.org and search 'find a dentist.'

Good luck and let us know if we can help you any further.

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Susan   Bauchmoyer, RDH, EFDA,  MS Susan Bauchmoyer, RDH, EFDA, MS
Associate Professor – Clinical, Clinic Director