Gum Diseases

Gum recession

01/24/2008

Question:

I am a 20 year old male. I`m very healthy, do not smoke/drink/do illegal drugs of any kind. Recently I`ve been noticing significant recession.

They told me the usual. Soft brushes/clenching/tooth paste but I`m pretty sure it`s none of that.

I`ve had braces before and stopped wearing my retainers recently. Maybe that has something to do with it? Or then again maybe it`s some medication or possibly some food I am eating?

Please help!! I do not know what to do, my gums keep receding and also I`m beginning to feel a lot of pain!!

My dentist sucks. I`ve been there twice. Last time I went he told me the same thing he told me the first time. Brush softer. I AM!! Also now I`m noticing some cloudy white spots all over my gums... Do I have some kind of disease?

Answer:

Please go and visit a periodontist instead of a general dentist if you did not do so. Post-ortho recession is generally normal depending on how much you have, but you may be developing occlusal trauma following not using the retainer. Do your gums bleed when you brush? You need to be checked by a periodontist.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology