Menopause

Post-menopausal bleeding

02/16/2008

Question:

I have had an ultra sound with the probe and the results were swelling of the tubes and thicking of the wall of the cervics. I am going to have the biospy but have not had that done yet. I am 57 and have not had a peroid in l4 years,or had sex, my husband died l4 years ago, and I stopped having a period after he died. I also had 2 c/sections and no natural births. Does this sound like cancer or something else like a build up of blood from not having a period. Please explain if you can.

Answer:

It is not clear why you had an ultrasound examination - bleeding or spotting?  Pain?  If you did not have any bleeding, the risk of cancer is lower.  The thickness of the lining of the uterus is also important.  Normally after menopause the lining is very thin.  A thick lining could be a polyp, a fibroid, hyperplasia or cancer.  The biopsy should be able to make the diagnosis.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology