Allergies

Allergy to Titanium

01/24/2008

Question:

Hi, I had 4 teeth implants in May, the implants failed, I ended with a bad infection after that. Could it be due to the titanium, is it possible that I am having a reaction against it? I am allergic to some metals. Thanks,

CC

Answer:

It is possible to have reactions to metals. The most common is Nickel (correctly, Nickel sulfate). There are people who have had problems with hip implants, but a reaction would no cause infection. It may cause the implants not to "take" but should not lead to infection. It is difficult to say, but it does not sound like you were having a reaction to the metal if the only symptom is a failed implant and infection. I would talk with your dentist about other causes and their experience with metal reactions. If necessary, you could visit a specialist who does patch testing for metals which could help you know if there is a problem.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

David  Hauswirth, MD David Hauswirth, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Crtitical Care & Sleep
Pediatrics