Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Rising platelet levels

01/24/2008

Question:

My endocrinologist ran a CBC and found that my platelet levels were 447. On a repeat CBC 6 weeks later they have risen to 480. He says he`s not concerned & I should see if my family doc wants to run any other blood work. Would you: 1. Be concerned? 2. Recommend further blood work? 3. What might be the cause? (I`m a 45 year old female in relatively good health other than the thyroid issues).

Answer:

While it is hard to make any specific recommendations regarding your care, I can tell you that there are a lot of reasons why the platelet count can go up, including iron deficiency anemia and any form of stress or inflammation. These can cause a secondary rise in the platelet count. There are some disorders that can cause an elevated platelet count, but these are more rare and associated with other abnormalities in the blood work typically.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine