Oral Cancer

Strange white soft bump under tooth

01/25/2008

Question:

Today an hour after lunch or so I felt a small bump underneath my lower pointed tooth. I thought it was a piece of food so I tried to sweep it away with my tongue but it wouldn`t move. I used my finger and it came off and it was slightly fleshy colored and soft and it appeared granulated but did not feel like it. I could still feel a rough spot where it had been so I went to the bathroom and right where the bump had been there was a small greyish patch. I rubbed on it and the patch fell off like dead skin and left a small sore red patch. I used smokeless tobbacco for about 6 years off and on and I am very paranoid about oral cancer. Can you help me out diagnosing this. Thank you

Answer:

It is not possible to determine a diagnosis from your description without direct examination and assessment. I would recommend you seek evaluation by an otolaryngologist (ENT) specialist who can examine this area and determine if anything further is recommended.

Go to the Oral Cancer health topic, where you can:

Amit  Agrawal, MD Amit Agrawal, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology