Menopause

Red, Burning Hot Ears

01/29/2008

Question:

Every day, sometimes 2-3 per day, my ears (sometimes one or both) get very hot and very red. It started happening about a year ago. At first, it only lasted 15-20 minutes, but now it lasts as much as 2 or 3 hours. It`s extremely uncomfortable, since I get very hot and flushed as well. If I`m home, I usually put ice on them to cool them off, but when it happens at work or somewhere else, I can`t do anything but suffer through it and it`s embarassing.

I`ve tried to find information online, but I`ve only found people talking about the problem, but no causes or solutions! I need to know what is causing it!!

I would appreciate any help you could offer as to how to get rid of this. I don`t want to imagine having to live with this for the rest of my life. I`ve been very depressed lately as a result. Thank you in advance for your help.

Answer:

If you are menopausal, red ears can be a version of a hot flash. Look for triggers of a hot flash. Triggers are anything that increase your body heat. From red ears a common culprit is a bright light. Look to see if there is a light source near you when it happens and try to find a way to avoid it.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology