Asthma

Breathing Problems

01/25/2008

Question:

I am an 18 year old male and I have been basically healthy my whole life. But when I was 17, I had some difficulty breathing for about two weeks on a continuous basis and I went to my doctor and he gave me some inhalers and eventually the problems went away. I would have a diffcult day breathing every now and then, but nothing too serious. A year later, around the same seasonal time, the difficulty has come back and persisted for about three weeks. My doctor checked me out twice and gave me an X-ray and said my heart and lungs sound and look perfectly fine. He advised to stick to the inhalers for another week or two and everything should be fine. Do you think that I have a serious condition such as a heart or lung disease, or do you think that there is no casue for concern? Is there any less serious condtion, such as asthma that could cause a few week long strectches of trouble like this? Thank you very much as I tend to worry too much about myself.

Answer:

Asthma is a disease that often comes and goes with people feeling very normal in between asthma attacks. In some people with asthma and allergies their asthma symptoms are often only present during their allergy season(s). You should consider being evaluated by an asthma specialist to determine if your episodes of breathing difficulties were due to asthma and/or allergies.

Go to the Asthma health topic, where you can:

John G Mastronarde, MD John G Mastronarde, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep