Gum Diseases

Upcoming apicoectomy procedure

03/11/2008

Question:

I am suppose to have an apicoe next week on #8 and i am so afraid it will not work due to all of the dental work i have had done by different dentist that have has caused problems. I would like to know what is the success rate of a apicoe after a regular root canal? I have been wearing a temporay crown for 7 months. Should I just have the tooth extract and get an inplant, or hope and cross my fingers that the apicoe will work. If it does fine, but if not I will have wasted more time, money and have had my gum cut for nothing. How do you find a qualified person who truly cares about the patient and not a buck? Thanks in advance for you help, I have been under so sick about all of this.

Answer:

The prognosis for apicoectomy depends on the severity of the problem. Most cases work fine for a long time if the endodontist can get in, clean all lesions, and seal the root canal entrance from the apical portion of the root. He/she can do this better these days due to high tech surgical microscopes and better endodontic materials.

There is always a possibility to extract your tooth and replace it with an implant. We do not recommend immediate implant placement since there is sufficient data reporting complicated healing at an endodontically failed tooth site. Thus, we generally recommend extracting the tooth, waiting for it to heal, possibly performing a bone graft surgery to increase bone support and placing an implant.

Thus, the final restoration would be delivered approximately in a year (for most of the cases). But again, we always try to save the natural tooth structure if we have the chance to do so.  The cost would be similar between the two treatments.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology