Myasthenia Gravis

Exercise and weight loss diet

02/07/2008

Question:

Can you please tell me what exercises and what weight loss diets I can do with myasthenia gravis? I was told that the more I exercise the more I would hurt myself.

Answer:

I am afraid I can not give you a simple answer to your questions. And, of course, you should consult your treating neurologist to get the advice that is right for you.

Whether or not you embark on an exercise program depends to a great extent on how well controlled your MG is and how long it has been well controlled. Other factors are:

Weight loss is an easier question in that a reasonable (2-4 pound weight loss per month) program based on balanced nutrition is good for almost everyone who is obese. There is no problems with a modest weight loss program based on reducing your intake by 300-600 calories per day. Of course, if there are other diseases at play (e.g. diabetes) the question becomes more complicated.

One final thought -- The key to weight loss is reducing calories by becoming very aware of portion sizes and calorie counting. This will have a great effect on weight for a patient with MG. Exercise is not the way for a patient with MG to lose weight.

Go to the Myasthenia Gravis health topic, where you can:

John G Quinlan, MD John G Quinlan, MD
Professor of Neurology