Allergies

Ear tube surgery - again

02/01/2008

Question:

Hi, my son is 4 years old. He has multiple food and environmental allergies, asthma and a vsd. He is most likely going to need tubes for his ears again. This will be his third set. He also had his tonsils and adenoids removed, and has had dental work done while under a general anesthesia. I am concerned about him developing an allergy to the latex, how common is this, and would he be considered at risk fo theis to happen? His first time under a general was at 16 months, and he will be going under for the 5th time in a couple of months, so that will make it 5 times in 3 years. Please help me be aware of the risks of being "put under" multiple times, and the likelyhood of him developing an allergy to latex. Thank you

Answer:

It is not possible to predict a reaction to latex based only on several operative procedures. If you are concerned or strongly suspect the possibility, you should ask your allergist to do a latex skin test.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

I Leonard Bernstein, MD I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus