Itchy palms

02/20/2008

Question:

Different parts of my body have been itching to a point where I am scratching myself raw. First my wrist, then my tummy, and now my palms and soles of my feet. I am taking diovan, zoloft and aciphex and was taking zyrtek but stopped due to change in availability. I am not pregnant but am overweight and prediabetic, but my sugers are in the normal range. I live in a very cold weather climate and my water is very hard and I count money. Do any of these give you a clue?

Answer:

It is impossible to come up with a diagnosis based on what you've told me. I recommend you see a board certified dermatologist.

A few thoughts, first the question is whether you have itching as your main symptom but no rash, or if you have a rash that itches. Medications, dry skin, a type of hives called "dermatographism", some medical disorders, and other conditions can cause the symptom of itching. Usually the rash comes after scratching. You're doctor can help you with that.

Rashes such as eczema, hives, irritated dry skin, itchy bug bites such as those that come from scabies, and other rashes from medications can also cause itching. Topical steroids may help with these conditions but you need to be evaluated by your doctor to get an accurate diagnosis and see what's the safest way to treat it.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD