Menopause

Menopause

02/26/2008

Question:

I had a hysterectomy at age 27 with the ovaries left intact. The only way I knew I was menopausal was througth blood tests. How do I know when it`s over? I`m on an ERT drug every other day (two years now). My breasts still swell every now and then, for a week or so, which makes me think I`m not done yet. I`ll be 55 in October.

Answer:

It is not clear what you mean by "when it is over".  Do you mean when your symptoms like hot flashes are over or when your ovaries stop making little surges of estrogen that can cause breast tenderness?  If it is the breast tenderness, that may or may not be related to estrogen from your ovaries.  Some women far beyond menopause still get episodes of breast tenderness that could be unrelated to estrogen.

If you are referring to hot flashes, some women have an occasional hot flash forever, even when they are still taking estrogen.  Women who had hot flashes at menopause may find that they return when they discontinue hormone therapy.  Hopefully they are not so intense when they return.  You can try decreasing your estrogen dose and see how you feel.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology