Colorectal Diseases

Please help

02/12/2008

Question:

I am 32 year old male. I find blood in my stool everytime. I started noticng this 2 years ago and I had a colonoscopy done back then. The doctor I had slight hemmerhoids and asked me gave me an ointment to appl whenever i see blood in my stool. But I keep on finding blood in my stool even now. Ever since I can remeber I`ve had problems with bowel movements. I have multiple bowel movements a day and sometimes I have severe gas too. I find mucus in my stool most of the time. Can you tell me what this could be after reding all the symptoms. I am not sure which specialist to see. My colonoscopy was done by a Gastroenterologist. Should I see a Gastroenterologist or a Proctologist or is that some other specialist that I need to see? Any advice by you would be greatly appreciated as I am really frustrated with this problem of mine that never ends.

Answer:

You should ask a colon and rectal surgeon to evaluate your hemorrhoids. Irritated hemorrhoids can cause all of the symptoms you have described, especially if your colonoscopy was otherwise normal.

There are many ways to address hemorrhoids that are causing symptoms- some surgical, some not. Talk to an expert who can offer you a range of treatment options.

Go to the Colorectal Diseases health topic, where you can:

Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD Janice Frederick Rafferty, MD
Professor of Surgery
Chief of Colorectal Surgery Division