Gum Diseases

Concerned with post-graft aftercare & healing

04/21/2008

Question:

I had a graft done one week ago, since then I have had a lot of discomfort (to the point that I`ve really needed all of the prescribed pain meds) and some bleeding from the pallet.

My concern is that 3 separate "chunks" of what I guess is gum tissue have fallen out (appeared to be grayish in color), either while rinsing with my prescribed mouthwash or just while talking normally. I can tell one piece was from right in between my 2 front teeth, and it seems there`s less gum there than before. I don`t know if this is normal, or should it be of concern??

Also, the gum line along my front 2 teeth has a few areas that are VERY dark in color, like a dark purple, and I don`t know if this could indicate infection??? I am on antibiotics already. But should I still feel this sore and uncomfortable?? And should little pieces be falling out from in between my teeth??

Answer:

It sounds like you are developing some post-surgery complications. I recommend you calling your periodontist's office and asking them to see you as soon as possible.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology