When will BG return to normal after a meal?

02/12/2008

Question:

I`m a 60-year old male, have been IDDM since 1979, and I am physically fit, have normal weight, and have no diabetes complications. I have an A1C target of about 6%, use Novolin in a pump, and have a basal rate that holds the BG steady without eating.

When I have a pre-meal BG of about 100, and eat a "standard good meal" followed by normal activity, not exercise, when might I normally expect that the post prandial BG return to near the pre-meal levels?

Thanks!!

Answer:

In people without diabetes, the peak BS after a meal is about 1 hour after starting.  In people with diabetes, that is typically delayed to 2-3 hours.  I would say that in most people we would hope to have sugars back to the pre-meal level at least by the time of the next meal (so at least by 4-5 hrs).  I don't typically ask people to do blood sugar testing at times other than pre-meal, 2 hrs post meal, bedtime and some times in the middle of the night, so I don't know that I can give you an earlier time than those.

Please feel free to write back if that doesn't answer your question.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD