Menopause

Menopause stages and treatment

02/26/2008

Question:

I recently had a ct of abdomn and pelvis,ultrasound and vaginal ultrasound,all this was ordered because of pain in left side that was constant,i was told also that i was in menapause which the bloodwork confirmed I was at 27 what does the numbers mean.I,m being given antibiotics because i have diverticulitis and cysts on oavaries and adjacent to the sigmoid.The dr.says this is normal and will follow up in 6 months ,He also put me on premarin 0.3 mg.Will this help and how long do you have to be on them before you realize a change in your health as far as every day routine tasks?

Answer:

You may not be completely menopausal with a FSH of 27.  Women frequently go in and out of menopause.  What is the purpose of the Premarin?  If you are not having hot flashes or other menopausal symptoms, there might not be a reason to take it.  It you still have your uterus, you may want to have some progesterone along with the Premarin to prevent uterine cancer.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology