Braces

Spacers?

02/14/2008

Question:

I`m getting braces soon and I`ve just been told that I have to get spacers. I`ve always seen people with spacers with a big embarassing space between their front two top teeth. I DON`T want this to happen. Is it going to, and can I get out of wearing spacers by any chance?

Answer:

This is likely a problem of communication. When you say you are getting braces, I assume you mean the normal braces children and adults wear to straighten teeth, placed and controlled by the orthodontist. In conjunction with that process, when preparing to fit molar teeth with molar bands, it is often necessary to place separators between the back teeth for a few days before fitting and cementing the molar bands. These separators are often called spacers by the lay public and not use in the front of the mouth. Another misused term for spacers is when a lingual (tongue side) bar is used to hold space for erupting teeth.

Therefore you need to ask the office to define the way they are using the term.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry