Depression

Diagnosing Depression

02/26/2008

Question:

Hi, I've been having these feelings for a long time now: frequent bad moods, being worthless and useless and an utter failure, low self esteem, guilt for no valid reason, I tell myself every single day that no one likes me and everyone hates me; even though I know for a fact that it is untrue.

The thing is, I have managed to keep these feelings to myself and no one can see or tell that i have any sort of problem. Do i have a problem of depression? Isn't it supposed to be obvious and affecting the way i function? I`m 23 and I've been feeling that way since my late teens. Of course there are moments when I feel good about myself but these are rare.

Is this depression or is it something else? Is there a treatment or a need for a treatment? By the way, I used to have epilepsy: I`m now off medication with 5 years without a seizure; don`t know if that has an effect.

Thank you.

Answer:

You report many of the common symptoms of major depression. You certainly should see you primary care doctor or go to a mental health clinic for a full evaluation and to learn about treatments for depression. You do not have to live with these feelings and thoughts. They are bad for your physical and mental health.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program