Dental and Oral Health Center

Enamel deficiency

02/15/2008

Question:

My 6 year-old son was told he has enamel deficiency. His bottom 2 teeth that came in after he lost them have yellow stains. He has just had his 4 molars filled, which also came in with yellow spots. He has only been on antibiotics 3 times in his lifetime. What could be the cause of this? He drinks plenty of milk. He started loosing his teeth much earlier than my 8 1/2 year old, who does not have enamel deficiency. Is this also due to the enamel deficiency? Can I do something to prevent this from happening anymore? Thanks for your help.

Answer:

Thanks for the question. The truth is - there is very limited evidence to demonstrate what causes enamel 'hypoplasia' - which is what you are describing. There are theories about use of medications, in utero fevers, and early childhood illness, and these all probably have some element of truth, but nothing is conclusive. The most important thing now is making sure your son is with a dentist who will monitor these teeth and provide you with good restorative care, so that they minimally affect him in the future.

Hope this helps.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry