Check ketones

02/26/2008

Question:

My husband`s blood monitor for his diabetes, showed for the first time, "check ketones". That has never shown up before. He was kind of dizzy this morning. He ate breakfast. Then felt dizzy so he check his blood and it was 287 and then the "check ketones". Do we call the doctor? or should we be alarmed? He is 59 years old.

Answer:

By all means, if you are uncertain what to do, I would err on the side of contacting your health care provider in that setting.  The "Check ketones" signal is usually triggered by a very high blood sugar.  If he has an idea why it is high and does not feel ill and knows what to do to correct it, then it would be reasonable to make those efforts and then re-evaluate.  If he doesn't know why it is high and/or he does feel ill or is uncertain how to handle the problem, then seeking help, either by phone or by going to a doctor or emergency facility would be reasonable.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD